httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Re: apaci
Date Thu, 23 Apr 1998 03:51:22 GMT
At 12:47 PM 4/22/98 -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>Someone I know just tried APACI... and his comments are below.  Ralf,
>don't take this the wrong way.  I think APACI is a good start... but I'm
>concerned that the documentation oversells it to the point that folks
>think it is the only way to do things.  Maybe it just needs to be made
>more obvious that folks can continue to use the old method.

I think APACI is a great start too, but there's a lot that people will be
asking for, such as interactive prompts for basic configuration things
rather than all command-line switches and defaults.  In my opinion, it is
easier to edit a file (with embedded comments giving me advice on what to
do) to tell it which modules to include and the like, rather than doing the
"short cut" and then not realizing there were other switches I could have
given configure to get what I wanted (speaking as a new user might).

I'm going to take a stab at editing the INSTALL files in ./ and ./src/,
just to make it a little clearer that both methods are supported and why
one might want to use one over another.

	Brian

"Optimism is a strategy for making                         brian@apache.org
a better future." - Noam Chomsky                        brian@hyperreal.org