httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Re: pthreads update
Date Mon, 20 Apr 1998 23:45:58 GMT
At 06:56 PM 4/20/98 -0400, Frank Faubert wrote:
>Speaking from the point of a commercial developer, I don't think that the
>license is very restrictive at all.  Basically, it only requires that the
>source code to the NSPR be available, not the source for any other part of
>Apache or the derived work.  I don't think that anyone selling a commercial
>version of Apache would be modifying the sources to the NSPR anyway.  And,
>if they decided to fix a bug or so, having their changes public would help
>the Apache project as a whole.  Also, it is my understanding that you can
>make changes to NPL code private by creating a public interface to an API
>and putting the private, non-NPL'd code, in a new file.

While doing development, I think the NSPR code will be in a separate CVS
module on apache.org, and I think we should have the ability to patch it up
to our liking, realizing it's in our interests to have *all* our
modifications make their way into the NSPR reference code from Netscape.
So long as someone there is really maintaining it of course.  How we keep
the NSPR CVS module on apache.org in sync with the NSPR CVS module from
mozilla.org is an interesting question.  We may have to hand-sync it every
major NSPR milestone or something.

	Brian

"Optimism is a strategy for making                         brian@apache.org
a better future." - Noam Chomsky                        brian@hyperreal.org