httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Re: Renaming: READY?
Date Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:44:55 GMT
At 12:06 PM 4/10/98 +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>The only consensus was to do the renaming the half-way, i.e. only do it to
>solve the namespace conflict. The what-is-API-and-what-is-not-API conflict
>definitely cannot be solved _at this time_, at least not non-technically. So,
>in the interest of the user we at least solve the namespace conflict by
>renaming the identifiers in the source to use the general ap_ prefix now and
>keep the other debate for a later time.

This is correct.  No apx_, no apapi_, all ap_.  This is the consensus of
the list, as an examination of the last three days of mail will show (I
have been reasing every message, by the way), as does the STATUS file where
proposals and votes are officially kept.

>My only concern now is that I really hope not to be tagged as the "bad guy"
>just because _I_ apply the renaming patch :-(.

Nope, I will shoulder any and all "blame" anyone feels like shouldering on
anyone else.

Clearly people are exhausted by the glacial pace of 1.3, and just want to
get it over with.  In fact things are being taken out of STATUS to make
that happen - good.

>So, ATTENTION now:
>I'LL COMMIT THE GENERAL AP_-PREFIX RENAMING
>ON SATURDAY April 11 AFTERNOON (GMT).
>
>Hmmm.... an unthankful job, a very very unthankful job... :-(

No, Ralf, I think a couple people have explicitly thanked you for your
work, and I'd like to do this as well.  I'd do it myself if I trusted my
thoroughness, which I don't.

	Brian

"Optimism is a strategy for making                         brian@apache.org
a better future." - Noam Chomsky                        brian@hyperreal.org