httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: AIX dlopen stuff (fwd)
Date Sat, 25 Apr 1998 18:18:08 GMT

In article <199804230031.UAA02510@devsys.jaguNET.com> you wrote:

> I just got this today... Looks pretty cool. Who has a nice
> AIX system to play with. Who knows... maybe we could adjust
> it for other OSs as well.

>> I have no connection to the Apache development process, so I am contacting
>> you as you appear to be involved with porting Apache. I just read in the 1.3
>> beta docs that mod_so will not support AIX as it does not have dlopen(). I
>> would like to point out that I have written a freely available dlopen()
>> emulator for AIX that is used in programs like perl or tcl/tk, available at
>> <ftp://anubis.han.de/pub/aix/dlfcn.shar>. Would it be feasible to include
>> that in Apache so AIX can also make use of mod_so?

I'm a little bit confused. I though AIX 4's dlopen is working.  At least under
AIX 4.2 I have a dlopen() style interface although my porting was not
successfully. Because although AIX 4.2 loads the mod_foo.so's correctly it
doesn't resolve the exported symbols from the Apache kernel. A function
palloc() in mod_foo for instance always is 0 when I debug the stuff via gdb.

In the AIX FAQ I read about your emulation but I though it was only needed for
AIX 3 which lacked dlopen() completely. Instead now it looks different. AIX 3
lacks dlopen and AIX 4 has a broken one.  And your emulation fixes both
situations, right?

If this is the case I give AIX a second try, of course.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com