httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <>
Subject Re: Ack! SCRIPT_URI went away in 1.3b6! (fwd)
Date Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:09:53 GMT

Brian Tiemann wrote:
>     Hey! What happened to SCRIPT_URI?

>     Apache 1.3b5 (and before) passed the SCRIPT_URI variable as either
> the full protocol-server-path URL of the script itself, or in the case
> of an SSI, of the page in which the script is included.

>     It seems to be gone from 1.3b6. What happened? And if it's gone for
> good, what variable offers the same function?

>     Thanks... I was sort of depending on SCRIPT_URI for a lot of my
> scripts... :)

SCRIPT_URI always was just a mod_rewrite thing because prior to a powerful
rewriting engine there was no real need for such a variable. It isn't a
standardized CGI/1.1 variable. And it is and always was only set when the
rewriting engine is _enabled_. So I expect the user now has disabled the
rewriting engine and thus SCRIPT_URI went away...

Of course I would appreciate when this variable is set not only by mod_rewrite
or when the rewriting engine is turned on. I perhaps should be moved to
mod_env or to the core because SCRIPT_URI can be useful without mod_rewrite,
too. But when it was introduced in 1996 I had to place it into mod_rewrite
because there was no chance to add it to the core.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall

View raw message