httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <>
Subject Re: core dumps with current CVS tree and gcc 2.8.1
Date Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:58:11 GMT
On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 11:37:56AM -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> If I go a few days without core dumps then I think we can safely say 2.8.1
> is unstable, we might even want to add a FAQ about it, as I'm sure we'll
> get reports on it.

No, guys. I guess it's neither FreeBSD nor gcc we can blame this on.
Remember the list of core dumps I sent to the list on saturday?
I said the dumps could be NFS related (and a heavy wget --mirror load did
not produce anything). (All this on SINIX-i386)

Well, they weren't. On monday, I again found a core dump. As Brian noticed,
with a very weird traceback.

And a couple of minutes ago, I debugged a completely different bug on linux.
Each time the timeout code would strike (and the timeout signal handler
was called) because of my slow tracing, gdb  showed me a SIGSEGV in
the sigsetjmp routine.

I *think* the key clue to these core dumps is the fact that they must be
*slow* (so that the timeout code is triggered).

How does that sound? Did we change anything in this area for 1.3b6?

PS: However, the timeout alone doesn't seem to be the reason for the dumps.
By just telnetting to port 80 and waiting for request timeout, I simply get
[Mon Apr 20 21:52:41 1998] [info] read request line timed out for
and no core dump.

PPS: an attempted traceback doesn't help much:
for the error
    [Mon Apr 20 21:12:05 1998] [notice] httpd: caught SIGSEGV, attempting to dump core in
I get:
    (dbx) where
    .kill() at 0x80015594
    sig_coredump(0xb, 0x0, 0x8047b50) at 0x8078634
    cannot read address 0xffffffff