httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: SERVER_VERSION with OS
Date Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:08:24 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> BTW Jim, I'm not adverse to doing extra work of copying strings around at
> config time... it's only request time work that really concerns me.

I agree... request-time turnaround is the main factor we should worry
about. Init-time is not in the same league, but I think you also agree
with we simply don't just shrug our shoulders and say "Ahhh so what,
doesn't make any difference" :) If there's any time to sling strings
around, it _is_ config time. If we can do it faster/better, then
even better.

Just in case, I'm happy with Ken's solution. I'm not proposing
not using pools. But just because it's config-time doesn't mean
that we no longer worry about performance. The fact that using
pstrcat allow us to dynamically allocate the size of the string
returned as ap_get_server_version is it's main advantage and
makes the most sense.