httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: SERVER_VERSION with OS
Date Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:02:46 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> > > If you stick it in the right pool, it isn't an issue.  The overhead of
> > > doing the allocation at init time isn't worth bothering about because it
> > > is trivial.
> > >

> > The simple fact is that tacking the string onto a static [256]
> > (or whatever) is faster than all the pallocs and function calls required
> > doing it with pools. Since this is all done at server (re)start
> > then it's less of an issue, I'll grant you that. And unless we
>
> No, it is zero issue.  Performance-impacting allocations matter.  This
> doesn't impact performance.

It's faster.

Depends on how you define performance :) If you define it as "the amount
of time before Apache is ready to handle requests once it's started"
then it impacts it :) :)

It's also simpler as well, but that's a different point.

Doing it via pools and pstrcat most likely will be the way it's
implemented, but that doesn't mean it's the best. And just because
I say something, doesn't mean it's wrong :) :)