httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: SERVER_VERSION with OS
Date Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:41:20 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> > I was just considering the fact that if loads of modules use this to
> > tack on their comments, we're talking a lot of pallocs... and
> > wasteful ones too. :)
>
> If you stick it in the right pool, it isn't an issue.  The overhead of
> doing the allocation at init time isn't worth bothering about because it
> is trivial.

The simple fact is that tacking the string onto a static [256]
(or whatever) is faster than all the pallocs and function calls required
doing it with pools. Since this is all done at server (re)start
then it's less of an issue, I'll grant you that. And unless we
use the config pools Dean's talking about, we are wasting space if
the pool sticks around.