httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules (fwd)
Date Sun, 19 Apr 1998 11:16:26 GMT

> I haven't looked at the patch.  But these seem like reasonable fixes to
> me.

> - that configure does not allow autoconf-like build with one prefix and
> install into another. Ie build with --prefix=/usr and install with
> make prefix=/tmp/apache-root/usr. That helps us from clobbering the build
> machines and makes life easier for us to just say that everything under
> /tmp/apache-root is part of the apache RPM rather than going through the
> whole disk and hunting for files installed by apache.
> Fixed in the attached patch.

> - one can not add and/or activate thirs party modules as shared objects.
> Fixed in the attached patch as --add-shared-module and
> --activate-shared-module.

> Other than that, it seems to work.

Hmmm... I remember the "make prefix=/tmp" trick from Debian, yes.  This is a
good suggestion which makes package authors life easier. But these parts of
the patch are not complete because this way the src/apaci script uses
${prefix} etc. which is incorrect.  Here expanded paths have to be used.

And the --add-shared-module stuff is totally bogus, I think. This
functionality _is_ already provided. The --enable-shared option just has to be
put after the --add-module options.  Example:

 $ ./configure --add-module=/path/to/mod_foo.c --enable-shared=foo

Bingo!

So, -1 for the patch. I'll try to put together a more correct one which
provides the "make prefix=/tmp/apache" feature for package maintainers.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com