httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: APACI file locations
Date Sun, 19 Apr 1998 10:28:57 GMT

In article <19980418225950.A24020@io.com> you wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 11:27:39PM +0200, Martin Kraemer wrote:
>> PS: let me state again how much I love the new apaci configure interface.
>> It's now dead easy to use a simple script to generate and install several
>> different server configurations in parallel.

> Yeah, I'm considering switching to it for my RPM. It would reduce the
> work needed to keep the RPM up-to-date with the Apache version, But, to
> maintain similarity with the existing Red Hat RPM, I need to put
> logs in /var/log/httpd, and to comply with appropriate Linux file
> systems standards, I need to put the PID files, etc. in /var/run. This
> doesn't look possible in APACI without patching.

> Any hope of this for 1.3b7/1.3.0?

Hmmmm.... I currently creating a patch for configure which
allows the user to use e.g.

  $ ./configure --with-CFLAGS=xxx ...

in addition to the GNU Autoconf way

  $ CFLAGS="xxx" ./configure  ..

which is only useable for Bourne-Shell users. All other users, for instance
CSH-Users, have to use a different syntax.  That's an ugly part of Autoconf, I
think. And because we are not using GNU Autoconf, we can additionally provide
a more clean way, too.

And this leads to the idea that this way not only CFLAGS, LDFLAGS etc.  could
be specified. Instead we could also let override the following APACI
variables:

 HTTPD_ROOT
 SUEXEC_BIN
 SHARED_CORE_DIR
 DEFAULT_PIDLOG
 DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD
 DEFAULT_LOCKFILE
 DEFAULT_XFERLOG
 DEFAULT_ERRORLOG
 TYPES_CONFIG_FILE
 SERVER_CONFIG_FILE
 ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE
 RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE

This way we provide both the Autoconf-compatible way and the more consistent
variant --with-XXXX=...
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com