httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 INSTALL
Date Tue, 14 Apr 1998 19:16:42 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95q.980414093050.23554C-100000@valis.worldgate.com> you wrote:
> On 14 Apr 1998 rse@hyperreal.org wrote:

>>   +     $ CC="pgcc" OPTIM="-O6 -fstrength-reduce" \
>>   +       INCLUDES="-I/usr/local/db-1.85/include" \
>>   +        LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/db-1.85/lib" LIBS="-ldb" \
>>   +       ./configure --verbose \
>>   +                   --prefix=/usr/local/apache \
>>   +                   --enable-module=auth_db \
>>   +                   --enable-module=rewrite --enable-shared=rewrite \
>>   +                   --enable-module=proxy   --enable-shared=proxy

> I still have trouble seeing how remembering this is easier than
> Configuration, but...

Be fair, Marc. First, no one ever said that the "configure" script is better
to remember. That's not its goal. Second, the above is a all-in-one example
which should give an impression. Nothing more. But perhaps the impression is
not a good one...

>[...]
>>   +       <http://www.apache.org/announcelist.html>.

> Why do your URLs here have <>s around them but not in other places?

Sorry, Cut & Paste... Fixed.

>>   +     o If you want freely available support for running Apache please join
>>   +       the Apache user community by subscribing to the USENET newsgroup
>>   +       <comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix>.

> Please note that .unix is _not_ the answer to everything, ie. windows.

Yes, but only there the real Apache users can be found which actually
can help the user ;-)

>>   +     o If you want commercial support for running Apache please contact
>>   +       one of the companies and contractors which are listed at
>>   +       <http://www.apache.org/info/support.cgi>.

> I don't know if these are really up to date enough...

Then someone should fix the document. Brain?

Ok, which address to you suggest as an alternative? new-httpd@apache.org?

>>   +     o If you have a concrete bug report for Apache please go to the
>>   +       Apache Group Bug Database and submit your report:
>>   +       <http://bugs.apache.org/>.

> Please, don't link directly to anything on bugs.apache.org.  It
> seems people will anyway so we will have to change it, but going
> directly there skips the whole section telling people not to be
> idiots.

Ok, which address to you suggest as an alternative?

>>   +     o If you want to participate in actively developing Apache please
>>   +       subscribe to the new-httpd mailing list as described at
>>   +       <http://dev.apache.org/mailing-lists>.

> I don't think you should refer directly to this.  It skips all the
> comments about the development process, etc. and makes it more likely
> for people to use this as a support list.

Ok, which address to you suggest as an alternative?

> www.apache.org?  What is that supposed to be?  It isn't a URL.

Hmmm.... fixed.

> I'm concerned about giving snippets of information that are just
> enough to cause trouble and make more places to have to maintain
> things without giving the full information to avoid idiots...
> We really need a canonical location for lists of this sort of stuff
> that points to the right places, does not take shortcuts and lead people
> places they shouldn't go without appropriate warnings, etc.

Good point. Please write this document, Marc.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com