httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 14 Apr 1998 19:05:59 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95q.980414094848.23554D-100000@valis.worldgate.com> you wrote:
> On 14 Apr 1998 rse@hyperreal.org wrote:

> I end up with a Makefile (by default) that installs things in
> completely different places from where all the docs say, that
> creates a /usr/local/var (I have never heard of any OS where this
> is legit to have!),

Compare the GNU "standards" document, Marc:

| `localstatedir'
|      The directory for installing data files which the programs modify
|      while they run, and that pertain to one specific machine.  Users
|      should never need to modify files in this directory to configure
|      the package's operation; put such configuration information in
|      separate files that go in `$(datadir)' or `$(sysconfdir)'.
|      `$(localstatedir)' should normally be `/usr/local/var', but write
|      it as `$(prefix)/var'.  (If you are using Autoconf, write it as
|      `@localstatedir@'.)

When you read it carefully you see that all APACI paths directly follow the
GNU standards. If they are useful is a different question, of course.  But the
standards defines how a script named "configure" should behave. And it is the
way the user is familiar with it. If the default is not what you want, you are
free to use --vardir=/var or whatever.

> screws with my /usr/local/include directory
> by installing all Apache includes in it, etc.

That's a bug. Sorry, includedir should be PREFIX/include/apache
if PREFIX does not already contain the word "apache". Fixed.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com