httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: RfD: new Announcement message
Date Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:34:35 GMT

In article <19980414181058.28867@deejai.mch.sni.de> you wrote:

> Hmm. The separation between old and new is very valuable. But '-'
> looks so negative... How about '*' or 'o' for old and '+' for new?
> I haven't tried it however; dunno what it would look like.

<grins> Hmmm... the only alternative is "o" because "*" and "+" cannot be
easily distinguished.

>> Very good point. How about this: We always provide the extracted source tree
>> side-by-side with the tarball inside http://www.apache.org/dist/. Usually we
>> have only http://www.apache.org/dist/apache-1.3b6.tar.gz. Then we would have
>>
>>      http://www.apache.org/dist/apache-1.3b6/

> That's not really necessary. We'd _have_ an interface to the CVS tree
> (albeit an interface with a huge overhead of computing power :-(  )
> at, e.g.,
>     http://www.apache.org/websrc/cvsweb.cgi/apache-1.3/src/README.DSO?rev=1.3

> Too bad it doesn't set the MIME type (for HTML files), and too bad you
> cannot give it a "...?rev=HEAD" query argument (Why?)

> At least for the most recent README's, this would be an alternative to the
> checked-out tree.

> At second thought, I guess we better not publish the webcgi references in
> the Announcement file. It's just overkill.

We have one more problem: Those cvsweb.cgi-style URL are too long for the
Announcements. They have to fit into 70 columns (indentation!). So, we at
least have to use a (don't kill me please) rewriting rule like

   RewriteRule ^/ap13/(.+) /websrc/cvsweb.cgi/apache-1.3/src/$1

But this again is a kludge. Is there no easier way to make
the README's available?
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com