httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: Portability: cp -R or cp -r or what?
Date Sat, 11 Apr 1998 15:49:33 GMT

In article <352F8AFB.8CC65B3E@algroup.co.uk> you wrote:
> Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

>> > shouldn't this be something like:
>>
>> > (cd $(ROOT)/htdocs/; find . -depth -print) | cpio -pdmu
>> > $(datadir)/htdocs
>>
>> I tried to avoid the p switch because when I remember correctly this is not
>> supported or at least not working correctly under all platforms. The splitted
>> way above worked under all platforms I tried.

> Fair enough!

Ok, but the initial question remains: Which of the presented variants should
we actually choose? the cp || cp, the tar or the cpio variant?  Is the cpio
the best? Hmmm... I don't know. I would say the tar variant is the favorite
because Apache is already distributed as a tarball, so the chance is high that
the user has a working tar. Votes?

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com