httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Renaming: READY?
Date Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:06:46 GMT

Ok, it seems like the current situation is a really worst one: Some of us
already left the group (Roy), some left the debate (Dean), some left the
interest (??) and the remaining people want the renaming done but don't say
any more words like "go for it". And in the middle of the fight RSE stays with
his renaming scripts and don't know what to do. The HIDE mechanism is already
kicked out and we _have_ to do something. So...

The only consensus was to do the renaming the half-way, i.e. only do it to
solve the namespace conflict. The what-is-API-and-what-is-not-API conflict
definitely cannot be solved _at this time_, at least not non-technically. So,
in the interest of the user we at least solve the namespace conflict by
renaming the identifiers in the source to use the general ap_ prefix now and
keep the other debate for a later time.

My only concern now is that I really hope not to be tagged as the "bad guy"
just because _I_ apply the renaming patch :-(. I personally was happy with
HIDE stuff but that's no more of interest. So, I take over the unthankful job
and apply the renaming. I've already prepared the stuff and tested it three
times and it worked fine.

So, ATTENTION now:
I'LL COMMIT THE GENERAL AP_-PREFIX RENAMING
ON SATURDAY April 11 AFTERNOON (GMT).

Hmmm.... an unthankful job, a very very unthankful job... :-(

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com