httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 STATUS
Date Wed, 08 Apr 1998 12:03:20 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > Roy did not provide sufficient justification to my mind for
> > his veto of HIDE.  I argued a bit, and then shut up.  Now it's
> > clear I wasn't alone - Paul, Marc, you (though you may have changed
> > your mind), and Jim also seem to think the justification
> > inadequate.
>
> No, I was concerned to the extent that *my opinion* was that the HIDE
> stuff was correct, so I would have prefered there to be no veto. But the
> veto exists, and is a correct procedure, and we should work to accomodate
> it. That is why I did not, and still do not, argue against the veto.
>
> I wish we could now carry on with an alternative strategy, without vetos
> being given and threatened on discussion items, in apparent response to
> the original veto. At some point you must accept the majority decision. If
> it is for a global, single ap_ prefix (and the results of the voting
> indicate that it is), you should accept that the apapi, appri, etc, scheme
> is not prefered.

But the simple fact is that the majority of us voted for HIDE,
it was accepted, someone Vetoed it (as was their right) and we're
back at the same point where we were. I get the impression that
Ken, Marc, Ben, Ralf and I all agree that a common prefix for everything
is a bad idea... This may be a minority of one, agreed, but it's
hardly just Ken and my opinions (to clarify, Marc thinks 1.3 is not
the place for any renaming at all, but if we are going to do it,
we do it right).

I suggested a compromise that maintains the current "prefixes mean
something" scheme (which _is_ used; look at ap_cpystrn() and
apapi_get_server_version(?))... It requires minimal changes to
Ralf's renaming script, which is an excellent tool BTW.