httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 STATUS
Date Wed, 08 Apr 1998 00:05:20 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Yes that's right.  I resist crap which detracts from my ability to code --
> my ability to improve Apache.  I tend to think that it detracts from
> others' abilities to (or desire to!) code as well, it's not that I think
> I'm special.  If everyone had this opinion we might get somewhere.  Some
> people just like to generate volumes of email though.  I at least generate
> volumes of patches.

Some people try to stay involved, even when they aren't actively coding.
In my mind, that's better than just sitting still and doing nothing.
If that's a strike against me, then so be it. The reasons for the
"volumes of email" is the same as for the "volumes of patches":
a desire to make Apache better. My desire for a consistant naming
scheme was for the express desire to _make it easier for people
to code_, especially those interested in writing modules. So
far, the opinions given in the survey that actually related to the
question at hand, whether to have seperate names, has been in _favor_
of seperate names. And if people wish to dislike me because I speak
my mind and argue against what I think is foolish, and argue for what
I think makes sense, then again so be it. I think that this is just
as important to the project as a whole. After all, you are arguing
for what you think makes sense... We all have a desire that Apache be
the best it can be, and the amount of code (or Email) generated
should NOT be the measure by which that is determined...