httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/test/rename apapi.h apapi.h.mk rename.cf
Date Tue, 07 Apr 1998 16:30:50 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> But surely name space collision is the only thing we are worried about.
> The HIDE stuff makes Apache work with third party libraries without
> collisions.

If that was the only reason, name-space collisions, then HIDE already
does that. The fact that Roy was able to Veto that, which from many
reports worked fine and was complete optional, leads me to believe
to others have the right to Veto proposals that affect the same "fix"
as well.

My point, and one shared by others (at last count Ken, Ralf and Ben)
is that as long as we are doing a source-level rename, let's add some
logic to the prefixes, so that if some looks at the code and sees,
for example, ap_flurbl, they KNOW it's an API function. If they
see apx_blarf then they KNOW it's something else. This adds a LOT
of clarity to the code and is worth it (as long as we are taking the bite,
let's do it right). The complaints about it, AFAIK, have been "I can't
stand typing those 1-3 extra characters" and "it's ugly"... I think
the benefits outweigh these "disadvantages". It's a fix and a benefit.
It adds some logic to our naming structure, instead of mass confusion
because everything is prefixed with ap_

Even so, this gives no one the right to ignore nor remove someone
else's veto.

Again, if Roy had the right to Veto HIDE, then others have the right
to Veto various proposals; we are talking about a patch that
changes the name of every API function... a change that will affect
every module out there; how basic and core of a source change can you get?