httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/test/rename apapi.h apapi.h.mk rename.cf
Date Tue, 07 Apr 1998 13:08:13 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > > As far as I know, the use of ap_ for API functions was the "alternate"
> > > method, and I had vetoed that on the grounds that it clashes with
> > > the use of ap_ for "generic, non-API" functions (like ap_snprintf).
> >
> > I'm sorry but I don't believe this is an issue you can veto.  You can vote
> > for an alternative but you can't veto.  I'm certain this is mentioned in
> > the guidelines.
>
> I've just reviewed the guidelines, and it appears to me that this is
> a 'product change.' (!)  As such, it requires consensus approval *before*
> being committed.  A -1 on actions requiring consensus approval is
> a veto, and the veto cannot be overridden.
>
> By this reading, the rename.cf changes MAY NOT be committed until Jim
> rescinds his veto.
>
> If you have an alternate reading showing this to not be a 'product
> change' (i.e., that it doesn't get caught by the following: "Any change
> that affects the semantics of arguments to configurable directives,
> significantly adds to the runtime size of the program, or changes the
> semantics of an existing API function must receive consensus approval
> on the mailing list before being committed"), please explain it.

Ken,

Why bother? It's obvious that Vetos mean nothing at all, at least for
the majority of members. It states clearly that Vetos can't be
overridden, but "someone" decided just to delete my veto from STATUS
as if they have the right or authority to do so. So let's adjust
the guidelines so that Vetos can't be overridden unless someone just
wants to, in which case they just delete 'em.

Don't you understand? Only a few peoples opinion matters, the rest just
"get in the way". Why worry about votes and guidelines when you can
simply steamroller your way through? It's the main mode of operation
now.