httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: Global Renaming: Let us start!
Date Tue, 07 Apr 1998 06:04:06 GMT

In article <9804061739.aa09746@paris.ics.uci.edu> you wrote:
>>Yeah, we really shouldn't forget this tagging. And remember that the current
>>rename.cf doesn't do the renaming for apm_ symbols (currently out-commented),
>>i.e. module structure symbols. I'll do this manually after you've comitted the
>>global stuff, because it requires teaks to mod_so, src/Configure, etc. which
>>cannot be automated.

> Ralf, I looked through that yesterday and couldn't find any reason to
> rename the module structure symbols.  The _module suffix is sufficient to
> distinguish them from other symbols.  Is there a real need here, or are
> you just being thorough?

My reasons for this are the following:

1. In the past we always have problems determining the
   modules name, because there was no direct mapping between the modules name
   "foo_bar" and the filename and the module structure name. This always
   leaded to special hacks: look inside src/Configure, src/helpers/fnm.sh etc.

2. When you already use nice and consistent prefixes for all other
   symbols it looks a little bit inhomogen to have a few remaining symbols
   which read neither Apache-specific nor do they follow a consistent scheme
   according to the module name. Compare Module "foo bar", mod_foo_bar.c and
   bar_foo_module.

3. Of course, yes, I'm thorough...

But of course, there is no real need to change them. Except that it is not
implausible that general-reading symbols like "status_module", "info_module",
will cause symbol conflicts in the future, too. So, I thought: When we already
make all external symbols conflict-safe why not make these symbols
conflict-safe and clean, too? Especially these symbol are even more relevant
then all other external symbols, because these are threated even more special:
For dynamically loading modules as _THE_ bootstrap symbol.

But I personally have no problem when we don't rename them, of course. I don't
want to force us to do this. I just think it is obvious to be thorough when we
are already cleaning up the symbols space...

PS: When we don't rename them I personally safe a lot of time ;-)

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com