httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: Global Renaming: Let us start!
Date Sun, 05 Apr 1998 13:38:36 GMT

In article <199804020606.IAA21791@en1.engelschall.com> you wrote:

> In article <199804012010.PAA02947@devsys.jaguNET.com> you wrote:

>[...]
> 4. If the renaming is stable and correct, I'll run it
>    finally and commit the renamed sources.

Ok, guys, I've now tested the rename stuff from src/test/rename/ more then
once and it works fine to me. After..

  $ cp -rp apache-1.3 new-1.3
  $ cd new-1.3/src/test/rename
  $ make rename
  $ cd ../../..
  $ ./configure --enable-modules=most --disable-rule=HIDE
  $ make

..I get a src/httpd with clean symbol space, i.e. the command

  $ nm -g httpd |\
    grep -v '\.o$' | egrep -v '_modules?$' |\
    grep -v 'apx_' | grep -v 'ap_'

shows (under FreeBSD 2.1.5):

0006c1a4 D __CurrentRuneLocale
0006c1b8 D __DefaultRuneLocale
000677ec D __GLOBAL_$F$__do_global_dtors
00067888 D __GLOBAL_$F$_exit_dummy_decl
0006a188 B ___CTOR_LIST__
0006a180 B ___DTOR_LIST__
0005f084 T ___do_global_ctors
0005f060 T ___do_global_dtors
0005f0d4 T ___main
00066514 D ___progname
0006ce0c D ___sF
00067884 D __exit_dummy_decl
000677e8 D __exit_dummy_ref
0000151c T _dlclose
00001578 T _dlerror
000014f8 T _dlopen
00001540 T _dlsym
000678a4 D _edata
0006ef44 B _end
0006cf20 B _environ
0006cf28 B _errno
000650d4 T _etext
0004c940 T int main(int argc, char *argv[])
0006ef40 B _optarg
00001020 T start

i.e. only remaining system and compiler stuff. What we now really need are the
decisions

  1. Do we really want to rename the symbols now?
  2. Which actual prefixes are used for the renaming?

Please vote in apache-1.3/STATUS for these two points now or 1.3b6 has to even
more time.  I really would like to see 1.3b6 to be kicked out in the next
week. We currently just wasting time if we neither decide to not rename nor
decide to rename. Apache 1.3b6 is waiting for us.

So, please try the src/test/rename/ stuff out yourself too see what it does on
renaming and how it does the renaming. And then give your votes in
apache-1.3/STATUS for Roys idea to rename the source and remove the HIDE
feature.

Hmmmm.... the renaming was not my idea, so I'm a little bit confused that it
seems to be my job to awake the group for 1.3b6. Roy, I think you should stand
up and speak, because it's your veto we try to solve here ;-) Without the veto
we already would consider pushing out 1.3b6. Now that the veto is there we
first have to solve it. The technical renaming stuff I provided for you, so
now its your turn to, Roy.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com