httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: HIDE summary
Date Wed, 01 Apr 1998 10:05:51 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980401094559.23407F-100000@ecstasy.localnet> you wrote:

>[...]
> The _only_ alternate to HIDE=yes for 1.3 is that we quickly decide on the
> final API names for all public functions, and make hide.h or the source
> code itself use the correct final names. These eliminates the
> transitionary use of AP_* names, at lets module authors start using the
> final names for their 1.3.0 modules straight away.

First, thanks for the summary, Paul.

I now really see the point for HIDE=yes as the default, but the AP_ -> ap_
transition between 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 is not nice. So I now would really prefer
that we do a quick decision for Dean's proposed general and short ap_ prefix
and kick 1.3.0 out with clean symbols which do not need hiding any longer. It
just looks a little bit ugly to mee that 1.3.0 sounds like a clean release but
isn't. And for 1.3.1 we do what we should have done for 1.3.0. Because when we
decide we want clean symbols for 1.3, then this should be done 1.3.0.

As I already said I volunteer to create an UpdateSource script out of the
UpdateHide script for automatic sourcecode conversion.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com