httpd-dev mailing list archives

From George_Carre...@iacnet.com
Subject Apache Proxy Server hides itself from people doing surveys in this area.
Date Thu, 02 Apr 1998 15:13:57 GMT
Speaking of the Netcraft Web Server Survey, the Apache server doesn't always
advertise itself as such when it us being used as a proxy server with the
ProxyPass
command it hides itself. Therefore the apache group is missing out on some
"awareness" in this area.

 The Netscape proxy server for example always
adds a "Proxy-agent" header, e.g.

$ http-get http://www.ccds.charlotte.nc.us/ :header=only
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 20:11:55 GMT
Server: Apache/1.1.1
Last-modified: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:22:39 GMT
Cache-last-checked: Thursday, 26-Feb-98 23:01:10 GMT
Proxy-agent: Netscape-Proxy/2.53

Whereas (at least in version 1.2.4 apache) the apache server hides itself:

$ http-get http://web1.sb-proxy.pt.cam.iacnet.com/searchbank/ :header=only
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: Netscape-FastTrack/2.01
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 15:25:39 GMT

I know that web1.sb-proxy.pt.cam.iacnet.com was configured using a apache 1.2.4

$  http-get http://web1.sb-proxy.pt.cam.iacnet.com/ :header=only
HTTP/1.0 200 OK