httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject mkid
Date Tue, 10 Mar 1998 13:46:41 GMT
>#!/bin/sh
>find . \( -name '*.[cChHylsS]' -o -name '*.cpp' -o -name '*.[cC][cC]' \) \
>    -print0 | xargs -0r grep ${1+"$@"}

The single most valuable tool for software development is:

http://wwwcn1.cern.ch/dci/asis/products/GNU.MISC/id-utils-3.2/id-utils_toc.html

Instant access to the lines matching a pattern over the entire source
tree.  Keep one over the set of mailing list archives.

More valuable than meta-dot, maybe more valuable than the compiler.

> ... I'd rather see things
>moved out of conf.h into os.h files.  I believe Ben Hyde feels the
>opposite way -- because that results in poor maintenance of other ports
>because they're "out of sight, out of mind".

I'm touched that you so accurately recall my final opinion on this subject.

The more practical part of my opinion is that I've never seen a project
use a single consistent way of doing this, so I suspect this dialectic
between function and platform is a force of nature - like the tides - and
it ebbs and flows.  So yeah, go with the flow.

If you move things into the os.h files then you have layering issues as
some functions will require other functions that must already have been
included - even if these are platform independent.

 - ben hyde

"The concept that civilization is inherently corrupt, but Nature
inevitably benign, is particularly popular in earthquake and floodridden
California."- Judith Martin