httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@lerdorf.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf)
Subject Re: APACI: Commit Strategy
Date Sun, 29 Mar 1998 14:57:53 GMT
> No, it only does when you don't provide your own Makefile.  Because you for
> shared object support you already have to provide one, you then can make sure
> the libphp3.a is not removed. Take the proxy/Makefile.tmpl as a start and
> create a PHP3 variant where your libphp3.a is preserved.
>
> But for shared object support you really need to build mod_php3 in its own
> subdir because else you cannot provide your own build commands (in extra/ a
> standard approach like in standard/ is used).

Right, I am working on this now.  I think this will all work nicely.
However, there is still one issue.  Apache's Configure generates
src/include/ap_config.h which is used for building large modules like PHP
outside of the confines of the Apache build tree.  It ensures that I have
the right #define's needed by the various Apache header files.

It would be nice if there was a short-circuited APACI configure mechanism
which made it possible to tell it to do nothing except generate that
header file.  That way my install steps could be:

/apache-1.3/configure --build-ap-config
php3/configure --with-apache=/apache-1.3
make install
/apache-1.3/configure --prefix=/tmp/apache --activate-module=src/modules/php3
make install

In fact, the php3/configure script could run that --build-ap-config APACI
configure command to make sure that ap_config.h will be available before
building PHP3.

-Rasmus