httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@lerdorf.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf)
Subject Re: APACI: Commit Strategy
Date Sat, 28 Mar 1998 14:30:41 GMT
Ralf, thanks for the pointers.  I will bring PHP3 in line with your
suggestions.

> BTW: The PHP 3.0RC looks great. I just had one problem under
>      FreeBSD: Your makefiles run only with GNU Make, not with plain BSD make
>      because the compilation of the functions/xxx.c cause problems: Your
>      target for compiling is not recognized.

Yeah, I know about that.  It works with every other make out there though,
but BSD make is broken as far as I am concerned.  The problem is this
rule:

functions/%.o: functions/%.c
    $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

What I would expect from make here is that $< gets expanded to
functions/filename.c and $@ to functions/filename.o (well, I know make
doesn't create the filename, but you know what I mean)

This is the case for Sun make, Irix make, Linux make, gmake and every make
not based on BSD make.  However, with BSD make $< expands to
functions/filename.c as expected, but $@ inexplicably becomes just
filename.o

-Rasmus