httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@lerdorf.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf)
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/include hide.h
Date Thu, 05 Mar 1998 23:25:44 GMT
> This is a bad way to come up with any such list, because of the mere fact
> that the Apache API has something on the order of 267 public functions. No
> one module is going to use them all. In fact, I doubt if all the modules
> combined use them all. But that doesn't mean they don't exist and they
> aren't part of the API. And if we "forget" any of them, we can find
> ourselves in trouble down the line.

Well, obviously it is not a way to come up with a definitive list, but if
you are going to decide on which functions need to be in the API, it would
be a good idea to have a look at which functions are used by modules out
there today and make sure that the functions used are either all in the
API, or identify functions that the module author should be calling
instead.  My fear is that someone will sit down and decide on which
functions a module would theoretically need without basing it on
real-world usage.

-Rasmus