httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: vetoing hide.h
Date Tue, 31 Mar 1998 08:08:43 GMT

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> I question if HIDE=yes is the right default though.  There are only a
> small number of people that need this or would benefit from it at all.

It is the right default for anyone building a precompiled system.
Otherwise you can't add shared PHP with arbitrary database support, for
example.

Binary compatibility doesn't exist with previous Apache versions.  There's
no sense catering to it.

Source compatibility is a moving target, that's what MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER
is for.  But adding apfoo_ to everything is a very non-trivial change for
folks to track in every module.  This is something that we didn't seem to
want to happen in 1.3 a month ago.

Dean