httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_expires.c mod_include.c mod_log_config.c mod_rewrite.c mod_usertrack.c
Date Mon, 30 Mar 1998 21:04:30 GMT

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Sole documentation of the API in the source?  Rubbish.  And only
> in the routines that are part of the API?  Worse rubbish.  As you
> say, documentation is documentation.  And it ain't source.

Would you folks stop putting words in my mouth?!  I didn't say that the
SOLE documentation of the API would be in the source.  I just said that
there better be documentation in the source, and the best place for it is
in the .h file that defines the interface.  I find that easier to keep up
to date than man pages, or html files.

> > But to make us type "apapi_" or "appri_" or whatever is a complete waste
> > of screen width, and typing time.
>
> I'm sorry, but what crap (IMO).  Debugging is *not* the normal mode
> of operation for everyone.  Between making it easy to understand
> and making it easy to type.. well, the correct choice is clear to me.

I'm sorry.  But if you're not using a debugger now and then then I really
can't understand how you call yourself a developer.  Either you never test
your code completely or you write perfect code.  Nobody writes perfect
code.  Yes that is an insult.  The debugger is a VERY normal mode of
development.  There is no gain in understanding from your extra letters in
the symbol names, there is only a loss of screen width and typing time.

Of course I've wasted so much effort debating with you folks that any gain
in typing time by using ap_ is lost.

Dean