httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_expires.c mod_include.c mod_log_config.c mod_rewrite.c mod_usertrack.c
Date Mon, 30 Mar 1998 02:36:14 GMT
But naming something like that is a lot like microsoft's hungarian
notation, which is supposedly useful for something that I'm not clear on.
"char *pByte"?  Wow that's such a useful name!  So much more useful than
"char *str".

Documentation is documentation, it shouldn't be enforced as part of the
symbols.  You'll notice that I put a bunch of documentation into the
header file where I defined (the now-named) ap_vformatter.  That is how we
should document our API.  Every function which is part of the API should
be documented like that, and NOTED as being part of the API (or part of
whatever sub-part of whatever interface you want to talk about).

If it's not part of the API but exported anyhow then say that where the
function is documented.  Folks ignoring the documentation get exactly what
they deserve: no forward compatibility.

But to make us type "apapi_" or "appri_" or whatever is a complete waste
of screen width, and typing time.

Dean