httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/main gen_test_char.c gen_uri_delims.c util_uri.c Makefile.tmpl
Date Fri, 27 Mar 1998 20:29:56 GMT

On 27 Mar 1998 rse@hyperreal.org wrote:

>   - make the generated files readable even not editable

I didn't bother because it's easier to get correct without worrying about
people reading output they shouldn't need to be reading.

>   PS: There seems to be another problem here: The files are
>       generated in main/ and included with #include "...".
>       Although we only have -I../include and -I../os/unix but
>       not -I. ! Is it really portable for all compilers to
>       assume the CWD is searched for #include "..." even
>       if no -I. is used? I personally would change it so
>       that the files are generated in ../include/. Comments?

No, please don't generate them outside of the directory they are used in.
How would "make clean" work?  Are you sure that all makes will accept a
left-hand target which is out of the current directory?  They're an
extension of the C file that they're included in, they shouldn't be in a
common include directory.

-I. is implicit, if it isn't the compiler is broken -- OR someone has used
-I- (gcc-lingo) in which case they deserve the brokenness they've created,
and should fix their CFLAGS.  Remember that in ages past, apache-1.2, we
used -Iregex and had absolutely no problems with stuff that was in the
current directory.

Dean