httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Wed, 18 Mar 1998 19:27:41 GMT

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> To some extent, sure, but not that much. We all have very different
> schedules... We all realize that. But using that as an argument against
> something is no more fair than saying "I don't think we should use
> XXX's idea because who knows if he'll be around to work on it."
> Certainly we've seen major sections of code lie dormant for awhile
> and then  WOOSH! a rush of activity as someone's schedule opens
> up... That's the nature of the beast :)

So you would rather programmers spend time re-inventing the autoconf wheel
rather than spending time improving apache?  Hardly seems worth it to me.

> And Ralf just did a big update to it... so someone else _is_ working
> on it (and recall that Paul did a major chunk a few months ago) :)

Yeah well we have to do this crap because it is an insufficient haphazard
tool.  Ralf's work recently with shared lib stuff is already present in
libtool.  It's great that he did it, but he could have put that time into
something else if we were using libtool.

But whatever.

Dean