httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Is $| =1 really a good idea in CGI.pm? (fwd)
Date Tue, 17 Mar 1998 01:04:01 GMT

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> Grumble.  Oh yea, disabling Nagle breaks modules that don't use their
> own buffering too.

So quit grumbling and turn Nagle back on if the problem isn't an issue any
longer :)

Or make it a run-time config option.  Then we can turn it off in
highperformance.conf and leave it turned on otherwise.  Given that the
delay is what, 200ms?  It's not an issue for most internet traffic.

> More advanced buffering features with better magic flushing or doing the
> work to figure out if you can safely leave Nagle enabled are probably
> worthwhile at some point.  Sigh.

We're not going to see any more advanced buffering features in 1.3 unless
someone can come up with the ultimate simple heuristic.

Dean