httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: general/1911: Can't download a file from the apache server with MSIE 4.01 US (fwd)
Date Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:48:57 GMT
Anyone else?  This .gz thing I heard was just in passing and I'd like to
find out if it's true... so that I can document it on the
known_client_problems page and complain to the browser folks at microsoft.

Dean

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 10 Mar 1998 19:36:36 -0000
To: apache-bugdb@apache.org, c.dumont@mercure.umh.ac.be, dgaudet@apache.org
From: dgaudet@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: general/1911: Can't download a file from the apache server with MSIE 4.01 US

Synopsis: Can't download a file from the apache server with MSIE 4.01 US

State-Changed-From-To: analyzed-feedback
State-Changed-By: dgaudet
State-Changed-When: Tue Mar 10 11:36:36 PST 1998
State-Changed-Why:
I've just heard this elsewhere.  Apparently microsoft in their
hugely infinite wisdom has used the .gz file extension for
something other than gzip -- they're using it for some vbasic
thing.  And because of that MSIE has problems dealing with anything
that has a .gz file extension.

I'm sorry, but I'm inclined to say:  tough luck, the .gz file
extension has been in use for 5 years now.  Microsoft needs to
wake up and fix their broken code.

But since I don't use MSIE, and heck I don't even use windows,
I can't verify this.  You can probably verify it by trying to
fetch a URL such as:

http://www.apache.org/dist/apache_1.3b5.tar

If that works, but adding the .gz on the end doesn't then it's
microsoft's problem.  Please report back what you find, thanks.

Dean