httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject RE: announcing Apache testers mailing lists
Date Mon, 09 Mar 1998 01:36:37 GMT
The cygwin32 project has a conflicting license requirement which means
that Apache cannot distribute binaries built by it; and because of that we
don't feel that enthused about supporting it period.  If you find this
ludicrous (I do) then I suggest you contact the cygnus folks and express
your desire that cygwin32 be changed to a more free license.

Specifically, cygwin32 has an "infectuous" GNU license -- everything
compiled in the cygwin32 environment must also be placed under the GNU
license.  The Apache license, which is a valid open source code license
(see www.opensource.org) is incompatible with the GNU license.

If you find my statements are wrong then please correct me.

Dean