httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/include hide.h
Date Wed, 04 Mar 1998 21:26:43 GMT

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 wrote:

> I guess for now I will need to pick out the Apache Configure-generated
> CFLAGS and add them to my CFLAGS and document the fact that the Apache
> tree should have at least had Configure run once on it before PHP can
> be built.

I don't want to force you to add this extra step to your 1.3 configuration
process.  I'd rather we found some other amicable agreement... an
agreement which means we don't have to restructure things a lot.

A related issue.  Suppose that for some whizbang debugging feature I need
to add a field to a structure... conditional on whether debugging is
defined or not.  It'd suck not to be able to do this with third-party
modules like php around.  I just looked at POOL_DEBUG and ALLOC_DEBUG and
they're fine, and so is the APACHE_DEBUG which I've been working on but
haven't committed (it checks the sanity of various structures).  These are
all intended to help developers... so I can see them being useful with php

I don't want to have to restrict debugging tools like this to what can be
done without changing structures -- because sometimes there's useful data
you can stuff into a structure to make sure its consistent later.  (Like I
had to mash up structures internal to alloc.c to get ALLOC_DEBUG and

This sort of thing leans me a lot towards ap_config.h containing
definitions... but there's still the catch-22, it won't exist before a
user has run Configure in apache, and so you'd need to Configure twice in
order to build php.

View raw message