httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/include hide.h
Date Wed, 04 Mar 1998 20:24:45 GMT

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> As I understand it, all external modules would need to be updated
> to include hide.h and define HIDE when they are being built...
> I don't see why we are imposing this right now. What we are doing
> is half-assed, and I can't see why we are making things
> tough for module writers. This whole thing was supposed to
> make things EASIER for them, not tougher :/

But they can't have their cake and eat it too.  Either Apache's name space
is hidden from 3rd party libraries or it isn't.  If it's hidden then they
need to make changes to use the hidden functions.

If their module is compiled within apache's makefiles it works fine,
because presumably they #include "httpd.h" at some point.

Rasmus, sorry but I don't agree entirely with how you build your stuff.
If the only interface between PHP3 and Apache was in mod_php3.c and that
file was compiled within apache then everything would work.  This is how I
assumed you did it.  But now I'm guessing that you call apache API stuff
outside of mod_php3.c, inside libphp3.a ... and that scares me.

For example, how do you get the -DSOLARIS2=xxx or -DLINUX=2 or
-DwhateverOS switch?

Dean