httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/include hide.h
Date Wed, 04 Mar 1998 19:54:55 GMT

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> I thought it was implicitly obvious that already-protected symbols should
> be exempt from re-hiding.  If it wasn't, I'm sorry - but that's been
> my understanding and intention throughout.  I don't regard these as
> special cases - if anything, the symbols being hidden are the ones
> being special-cased.  The ones with the collision insurance are in
> many cases *meant* to be exportable - putting them in hide.h breaks this.

All you've accomplished now is to increase the amount of guessing I have
to do while debugging.  You missed "aplog_error" for example.  Yes all
this could be solved by improving gdb to do the guessing for me... but
that hasn't happened yet.

This sort of hodge-podge naming things apapi_ or ap_ or os_ or whatever_
is pointless.  If we're not going to do it across the board (changing the
API completely) then there's little sense in doing one or two cases. Right
now I don't care if the API changes names completely, but I am annoyed by
hodge-podge naming changes.  I just figured this was a 2.0 issue.

Dean