httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [BUILD] trouble in find_ipaddr
Date Mon, 02 Mar 1998 17:56:35 GMT
On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:

> New on the mips & sparcsol; from the mips:
>   http_vhost.c: In function `find_ipaddr':
>   http_vhost.c:376: syntax error before `.'
>   http_vhost.c:379: `S_un' undeclared (first use this function)
>   http_vhost.c:379: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>   http_vhost.c:379: for each function it appears in.)
>
> On the hp9000s800 things rearranged a little:
>   cc -c  -I../../os/unix -I../../include    -DHPUX -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE -DSTATUS -DUSE_HSREGEX
'-DHTTPD_ROOT="/tmp/httpd"'  os.c
>   cc: "../../os/unix/os.h", line 44: error 1000: Unexpected symbol: "char".
>   cc: error 2017: Cannot recover from earlier errors, terminating.

Both should be fixed now, thanks.

> ps. The reverse proxy is very different from a regular proxy,
>     people are willing to pay for it.

Yup it's different in which way the caching works... and yeah folks will
pay for this because it's an excellent method for building a site that
needs a lot of computation power.  You just fan out the computation behind
reverse proxies, and let the proxies cache the static content leaving more
cpu on the computation boxes.  Also useful when, for example, your
database doesn't run on, say, Linux or FreeBSD... it's so cheap to build
256Mb linux/freebsd reverse proxies to handle static gif loads, and fan
out to a few ultrasparcs doing just database/compute work.

Dean