httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@c2.net>
Subject Re: prefixes
Date Mon, 30 Mar 1998 16:38:19 GMT
On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Looks like consensus is to use apapi_ for API functions.
>
> >os_     some other random core functions
>
> Wasn't this for routines that turn OS-nonspecific semantics into
> OS-specific calls?  My vote would be to make this ap_.

The distinction between os_ and ap_ is that os_ does not require the
overhead of things like pools (which are going to be part of the ap_
libraries). For example, the fairly simple support programs can link
against os_ to get os-independent functionality consistent with Apache,
without needing any of the libap stuff. In general, most things in with
os_ prefixes will be short macros or inline functions, or (on many
systems) simply nops.

To my mind this is a fairly clear distinction, and having different
libraries and prefixes makes this clear to people writing Apache add ons.
But perhaps we don't need it.

Paul