httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@c2.net>
Subject Re: Voting: APACI
Date Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:17:19 GMT
On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Chuck Murcko wrote:
> Actually, I have read both. I am -1 for both CV1 and CV2 until I see
> some wider support from the group besides Dirk and Martin. What I am +0
> for currently is separate distribution until 1.3.1, due to late timing
> of APACI. Also, from the guidelines:

While I can understand a level of resistance at this stage to what looks
like a major change, (and I that was my feeling when this was first
proposed) I've been using this for a while now and not only is invaluable
building builds, it does not _alter_ any existing way of buulding and
installing. Specifically, users can still "cd src;  vi Configuration;
./Configure" just like they used to. It does not and cannot break any part
of the configuration and build process.

What it does do is add an addition, higher level, build process, namely:
"./configure --options; make; make install". This uses Configure to build
the configuration. But for people that use this way of building Apache it
provides some absolutely required functionality: the ability to specify an
install directory, and to get Apache to install itself properly. This is
something Apache has always lacked (it assumes it is being built where it
is going to run from, which I think is ugly and invalid). Now people can
build and install Apache like any other source-code software.

Given that it provides much needed functionalty while not altering any
current part of the configure/build process, I think that CV1 deserves a
+1.

Paul