httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@c2.net>
Subject Re: APACI 980313: Give it a try
Date Sun, 22 Mar 1998 13:45:19 GMT
On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> Try it out and give more feedback, Paul.  Perhaps my trick is not really
> enough or you want a slightly different approach. I've now uploaded
> apaci-980321.tar.gz to ftp.apache.org which includes this change.

Yes, this is better. -d now works fine.

However I am still worried about the use of the non-compatible directories
by default. A 'principle of least astonishment' would lead me to expect
that

  ./configure --enable-shared=max

would give me something like the current arrangement of directories.
However it doesn't. For example, sysconfdir becomes "etc/apache". Even
with --sysconfdir=conf, it is "conf/apache". I think I would much prefer
it if the out-of-the-box behaviour was to use a directory structure that
is already familiar for Apache users. The options to configure give
everybody enough flexibility to pick exactly the kind of directory
configuration that they want. Arrangements of directories varies greatly
between different systems, and between different people. The use of
"libexec", "sbin", "var/run", etc, are not universal.

In short, I'd like --compat to be enabled by default.

Finally, even with --compat you get

  -DDEFAULT_PIDLOG="/usr/local/apache/run/httpd.pid"
  -DDEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="/usr/local/apache/run/httpd.scoreboard"
  -DDEFAULT_LOCKFILE="/usr/local/apache/run/httpd.lock"

I think the "run" should be "logs" for compatibility.

Paul