httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@c2.net>
Subject Re: windows installer
Date Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:02:44 GMT
On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
> It has been suggested to me that looking at a product called Wise
> (http://www.glbs.com/) may be worthwhile.  I know nothing about it, and we
> would have to convince them to give a free license, but I figure perhaps
> their programmers have advanced beyond the "busy-wait 'cause its cool"
> stage that installshield is at.

Or Vise, which is different to Wise despite the almost indistinguishable
names:

  http://www.mindvision.com/Products/IVISEWIN/IVISEWIN_Index.html

I've tried the downloadable version, and it looks good. It seems to be
powerful as IS5, but without the need for a script language. It can also
be run from the command line. Support for large hierarchies of little
files looks a lot better than IS2 (IS2 creates "program groups" for every
directory when you drag and drop a directory, making management a real
pain; Vise keeps the full original hierarchy, and even lets you select and
unselect individual files/directoris within the hierarchy, or add
hierarchies for other physical locations into the installable hierachy.

On the downside, its configuration file is in a binary format (but there
is a menu option to globally search-and-replace file paths) [for
comparison, IS2 has a text config file so we can change paths, but no way
of doing it within IS2, and IS5 spreads config files across multiple
directories making changing directories all but impossible].

Paul