httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: vetoing hide.h
Date Wed, 01 Apr 1998 00:41:11 GMT
On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> >Please rescind your veto.  IMHO you've waited too long and been too
> >silent - you haven't even participated in the discussion AFAICR.  Popping
> >in with "I say 'no'" at this point is inappropriate.
>
> I disagree with this - as others have said, it's fundamental to the c-t-r
> model that this be allowed.  It's not quite a "veto", but a strong strong
> sentiment + a commitment to do the work involved, that must be addressed by
> the others.

Although I don't have any strong thoughts on this issue (mainly because
I've been too busy lately to do any thinking, let alone coding, on this or
any other Apache topic), I'm going to pop in and say that I agree; Roy's
comments and veto were perfectly valid, in this or any other context.

Just because some length of time has passed, or some amount of effort has
been expended does not mean that code or idea is neccessarily now
concretly part of Apache. I mean, are we to say that if we make a mistake,
and realize it a month later, it's impossible to correct it? I think
that's silly. If we realize something is a bad idea, it's a bad idea, and
we should get rid of it.