httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: the C++ disaster (was Re: Source code - optimised assembler)
Date Wed, 11 Mar 1998 19:27:39 GMT
On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> > I can tell you with extreme confidence that not only is he not talking
> > only about UI, but in *no way* is he implying that C++ was a good idea
> > everywhere else.  I've spoken with him about this specifically.  It's hard
> > to misinterpret "colossal cost."
> Indeed it is. But the comment was made with reference to the
> cross-platform stuff. If he thought C++ was a bad idea everywhere, why
> did he restrict the comment to the cross-platform stuff?

Um, I'm going to have to disagree with you here, Ben. My interpretation of
the comments agree with Paul's here. If I say "it's not a good

And I also am wondering why exactly you say that when he mentions
cross-platform code, he means UI. Isn't that the one part of Navigator
that, by definition, *can't* be cross-platform? Although personally I'd
love to see code written for the Mac Toolbox compile using Win32, or Unix,
it isn't likely to happen.

Cross-platform code likely includes things like protocol issues, HTML
parsing and layout, cacheing, security concerns and the like. Which, by
the way, is very near to what Apache does.

-- Alexei Kosut <> <>
   Stanford University, Class of 2001 * Apache <> *

View raw message