httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: apache+mozilla.org features
Date Mon, 23 Mar 1998 23:10:17 GMT
On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Paul Phillips wrote:

> I'm now the "blue sky guy" at mozilla.org, see
>
>   http://www.mozilla.org/blue-sky/
>
> I'm betting that some of you fine apache developers and lurkers have
> good ideas about what we ought to be doing now that the mozilla source
> will be running around, especially with regard to protocols, but you
> name it.
>
> Call me crazy but I think cooperation between apache folks and mozilla
> folks is super key.
>
> So, if you have "blue sky" ideas (and please note the little speech
> about the <FOO> tag at the referenced URL, minor protocol tweaks fall
> in the same category) that you'd like to see presented at mozilla.org
> for public digestion, please bring them up on the mozilla-wishlist
> mailing list (preferred) or here (not recommended unless it really has
> to do with apache development)

I don't have time for another list, but here's one suggestion..

Apache and other servers would probably be more efficient if Mozilla
didn't *insist* on wasting keepalive potential by blasting servers with
parallel requests. Ideally it needs a smarter algorithm for deciding
whether to wait slightly longer and reuse an open connection or try
to save time by opening more connections. If Mozilla could remember
that a server is willing to keepalive, then waiting that little bit
longer is less of a gamble.