httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Wall Street Journal coverage (fwd)
Date Thu, 19 Mar 1998 20:02:49 GMT
On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Chuck Murcko wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > So anyone care to summarize the contents of this article?
> >
> > You wouldn't believe how few copies of the WSJ exist in this town...
> >
> The article's online at
>
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/151800.asp

Hahaha.  Cool, thanks.

Guess they were convinced not to mention the underware bit.

"working in their spare time over gin and tonics at home"

I like their mention of other figures (after mentioning Netcraft):

	Other sources reject those figures for several reasons,
	including that among the private internal "intranets" that
	companies install, Microsoft and particularly Netscape hold
	the lead. Still, even Microsoft's newly acquired subsidiaries
	- Hotmail Corp. and WebTV Networks Inc. - use Apache software
	on their Web sites.

They say:

	But many corporations balk at public-domain software. "When I get
	calls in the middle of the night, I want to know I can call someone,
	get an answer, and go back to sleep," says Mark Kortekaas, director
	of technical operations at Sony Corp.'s Online Ventures Inc.  unit
	in New York.

Sure, I want to know that too.  But I haven't yet found a vendor that
will offer that.  Sure, 24 hour support.  Sure, quick resolution.
Sure, onsite engineers if necessary.  But no matter what, unless you
outsource and trust them with your life, you can't just go back to sleep
and forget it.

Not a bad article.