httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: automated platform testing
Date Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:37:03 GMT
On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> <security paranoia=high>
> This in effect gives every apache developer with commit access a shell
> account on all test machines.
> </security>

Yup.  But the only reason this should scare you is that it is pointed out
explicitly.  There are much more troublesome trust relationships going on
that I'm still fighting about how to solve.  Have ideas, but haven't
implemented anything.

I am not overly concerned about exposing the test machines; the risk
simply has to be made clear. If someone is paranoid, they can do it
chrooted easily enough if they don't mind a gazillion copies of things in
their chrooted environment (probably a bad idea since it could be diffrent
from the "real" environment and cause or hide problems).