httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Is $| =1 really a good idea in CGI.pm? (fwd)
Date Tue, 17 Mar 1998 00:59:26 GMT
On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > Grumble.  Oh yea, disabling Nagle breaks modules that don't use their
> > own buffering too.
>
> So quit grumbling and turn Nagle back on if the problem isn't an issue any
> longer :)

But the problem is that it takes some time and analysis to actually see if
it is a problem any more.  I plan to look at it and gather some data from
a test server with it enabled when I get a chance.

> Or make it a run-time config option.  Then we can turn it off in
> highperformance.conf and leave it turned on otherwise.  Given that the
> delay is what, 200ms?  It's not an issue for most internet traffic.

I think that 200ms still is a significant issue for a lot of traffic,
especially if it happened multiple times in a persistent connection.